Dave Torromeo chats about career with Freddy Rolón, Head of Digital Content and Audience Expansion, at ESPN
ESPN Deportes has been serving Hispanic audiences for nearly two decades and will celebrate its 20th anniversary on January 7, 2024.
I spoke with Freddy Rolón, Head of Digital Content and Audience Expansion, at ESPN about how over the years ESPN Deportes has stayed current with the needs of Hispanic audiences – from programming to digital tools that enhance the viewer experience – and its plans for the future.
Enjoy the video…
A few key statistics below from ESPN:
- ESPN reaches 60% of Hispanic adults across linear and digital, over 25 million. ESPN reaches 26% of Hispanic Adults across social.
- Hispanic viewers account for 13% of ESPN’s streaming audience, nearly double that of ESPN’s TV audience (7%).
- On average, Hispanic fans spend more than $3,200 annually on sports, in line with the average across all sports fans.
- Across digital and social, more Hispanic consumers engage with ESPN than the general population. 1 out of 4 ESPN social and digital users is Hispanic.
- Hispanic audiences are more likely to be fans of combat sports and soccer than the general U.S. population and are more social sports fans.
- More than half of Hispanics (54%) agree that watching sports is a social event, above the average across the general U.S. population.
- While its top programming continues to be soccer, ESPN Deportes has a much broader mix of sports than competitors including the MLB, NFL, MMA, NBA and Boxing.
- While the NFL, MLB, and NBA rank within the top 5 most popular sports among Hispanic consumers, they over index in terms of interest among International Soccer, Boxing and UFC.